Tuesday, December 27, 2011

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad I'm not hung like a bear.

You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight.
My sister is in town and we decided to watch one of the movies she bought me for Christmas, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. If you're reading this, then you're probably aware of the buzz surrounding this flick. While I think any degree of anticipation generally works against a movie, Tucker & Dale delivers. Mostly.

The premise is genius in its simplicity. Take the typical horror-movie hillbillies and make them the good guys. In turn, have the college kids play the bad guys. Simple enough, right? Well, yeah. But that doesn't make it any less impressive.

This movie excels despite the fact that you can see just about everything coming. What isn't predictable, is how simply perfect Tucker and Dale are as characters. Especially Tyler Labine as Dale. This is his movie. Damn near everything he says is delivered in a way that'll charm you. The guy is the kind of person that you'd want to be friends with. That's not to say that Alan Tudyk doesn't completely kick ass as Tucker, he just doesn't get the screen time that Dale does. And he's not a fat guy with a beard. Those guys always get bonus points. It's pretty much a rule.



Not sure about this outfit, but I am sure I love it.
This movie pretty much sets a world-record for accidents and misunderstandings. I don't think that anyone is hurt on purpose once in this movie, outside of a few chopped-off fingers and the weird opening scene. All the rest of the semi-grisly deaths seem to be the result of horribly unfortunate accidents. Which leads me to a serious question? Could you really run fast enough to impale yourself on a fallen tree? My sister said yes, while I opted for impossible. That's the kind of post-movie discussion you can look forward to after this one!
So, let's break this down into the ol' Yays and Boos, shall we?

Better out than in, I always say.
Yay!
  • Chainsaw + Beehive = Best Scene Ever!
  • Stereotypical College Kid Checklist, go! Jerk Frat Boy? Here, bro. Dumb Blonde with Big Boobs? Like, totally! Black Guy? Present. Random Fodder? I said, Random Fodder. What's that? Oh, they're dead already? I'm going to mark them here, anyway.
  • Violence is pretty decent. And all played for laughs.
  • Allison (Ally-son) is super hot. Like, probably worth-all-the-trouble hot. Need proof? Well...

If they're using it on the poster, I'm using it in the blog.
Booo!!
  • I'm not sure if there was any nudity in this movie. Read that again. I'm not sure. As in, I don't recall. That's simply unacceptable. I'd even take Dale's ass, if need be.
  • You know those discussions on why we can't call the police? I know they're mandatory, but I hate them.
  • Crazy Blue-Shirt Guy gets ridiculous. He's basically hunting John Connor.
A.L.N: You are all I can think about. This is something we should've watched together. Be strong, brother. Best Man doesn't begin to describe you. -MB

No comments:

Post a Comment