Thursday, November 10, 2011

You know, you're not as popular as you think you are.

Everybody knows that the amount of money a movie makes at the box office does not reflect its quality. I mean, a lot of shitty movies have raked it in, and many fantastic movies simply don't have mass appeal. I'm not going to get on my soap box and preach that the average movie-goer is some kind of slack-jawed inbred. Nah. I just find the numbers fascinating. Of the top-ten grossing movies of 2011, I managed to catch six of them in the theater. A surprise hit, and the tenth on that list, was the comedy Bridesmaids, which managed to earn $169 million at the box office this past summer (and if you're curious, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2  [review] reigned with $380 million). Seven down, three to go...

The one on the right? So hot. Want to touch the heiny.
Though my wife and I started the flick in the afternoon, we completed this one on the night of our three-year anniversary. Yeah, not terribly romantic, but at least we were keeping the wedding theme going. It wasn't like we watched this. That would've just been weird. But awesome, too.
Red beans and rice didn't miss her.

Ridiculous Japanese romantic comedies aside, how was Bridesmaids, you ask? Pretty damned funny. It starts out very strong, drags in the middle, but ends on a high note. My wife really enjoyed it, and I think that most guys will, too. Kristen Wiig, writer and star, really delivers.

Surprisingly though, the show is stolen by the lady pictured on the left, Melissa McCarthy. Usually the funny-fat girl is annoyingly one-note, but her character brings a lot to the movie. Yes, she shits in a sink - which may be a minus for some of you, but almost every line she delivers is uttered with such supreme confidence you have to buy in. For example:

Yeah, oh, shit. Took a hard hard violent fall, kinda pin-balled down. Hit a lot of railings, broke a lot of shit. I'm not gonna say I survived, I'm gonna say I thrived. I met a dolphin down there and I swear to God that dolphin, looked not at me, but into my soul, looked into my Goddamn soul.

 Maybe that's not that funny when you read it, but I nearly pissed myself when I heard it. Good times.

The other/last thing I want to mention is that I can't recall a movie where the people involved honestly loved each other. The off-screen friendship between Wiig and Maya Rudolph so obviously carried over it was like a documentary at times. Entire scenes looked like outtakes because their rapport was so strong. I know, stupid point, but it resonated with me for some reason. Reminded me of the ridiculous movies that we made in college. Movies where you just smiled no matter the scene because you were doing dumb shit with your friends and you couldn't help it.
Oh, you didn't make a lot of movies with your friends? You must have had a real major. Not me. Communications, anyone? Whatever. That's where I met my wife. Oh, yeah. Full-circle.

1 comment:

  1. Quite funny actually, just a little too long for my taste. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete