Friday, October 7, 2011

I'd come this close to having an impact on the world. And now the only thing I'd have an impact on was the sidewalk.

If ignorance is bliss, what is intelligence? Misery? According to this year's fast-paced flick, Limitless, intelligence is actually a pill. A very addictive pill. One that helps you unlock that 80% of unused brain you've been carrying around your whole life. But what happens when you stop taking it? Surprise! Misery. Oh, and Russians. Angry, angry Russians.

After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
Before watching this, I thought the premise looked interesting enough, but honestly never thought it'd make the cut (not that I'm that discriminating, mind you). One free Redbox code later however, and I'm glad I checked this one out. It has a visual style that is appealing and reels you in quickly. Our protagonist's ordinary, somewhat-gloomy life is depicted in grays and blues. But once the medication kicks in, it's all golden. Except for his eyes, which are unnaturally blue. Please tell me that was a special effect, 'cause that's not even fair otherwise.


Awkward man-crushes aside, the transformation from average guy to badass super-genius is so realistically portrayed and moves so quickly, you don't have time to question any gaps in logic. Same goes for Eddie. His mind is advancing so quickly, he has a hard time dealing with gaps in consciousness. But if you're super-smart, does it really matter if you killed that European model/hooker? Nah, you're good.

So, is being ridiculously smart all that it's cracked up to be? Well, from my own experience, it's okay. But for Eddie, it has some pretty sweet perks. Ability to diffuse angry females? Done. Life of the party in all situations? Oh yeah. Constant stream of hot chicks? Check. Can kick the asses of a half-dozen dudes in subway station despite never being in a fight? Yep (thank God for Bruce Lee flicks). And that's just the beginning. Eventually, he becomes the Oracle in The Matrix and can just call anything seconds before it happens ("And don't worry about the vase..."). May sound corny, but it's cool, trust me.

Four things before I go:
  1. First time in my life that I was actually extremely cool with the PG-13 rating. This movie could've been rated-R, but it didn't need to be. I didn't feel screwed out of violence or boobies or anything. I mean it. What am I, a grown up? Um, keep reading...
  2. I'm not squeamish, but I actually shuddered during this one. Look, I'm all for drinking pools of bodily fluids, but blood? Gross.
  3. Best Worst Scene Ever? Girlfriend in park scene! The fact that he's on the phone with her is ridiculous enough, but when she figures out the ice skate thing...absurd. That's something only Nic Cage could get away with. And she didn't have a mullet and a southern accent...
  4. If you are not reminded of Rob Lowe in Wayne's World at least once, you better not be older than I am.

1 comment:

  1. You liked this movie? Seriously?
    I thought it was garbage, and that was for one reason alone: What he did with the drug is NOT what I would have done (or expected anyone else to do..I live in a pretty selfish world?) with it. The last scene, with the van? I thought the whole movie was going to be THAT. So, that's why I didn't like it. I was waiting and waiting for him to use it how I would have used it, and he only did it once for a split second.

    It was just corny otherwise, in my book.

    ReplyDelete