Tuesday, July 5, 2011

You gotta win a title. For you. For me. For Lowell.

Wow. It's almost two in the morning and I just finished the astounding 2010 film, The Fighter. David O. Russell directs Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale in what is one of the best movies I have seen in a very, very long time (right now, it's near the top). Now, I'm a pretty cynical prick, but this one moved me. I was so emotionally vested in these two brothers...it was incredible and inspiring.
There were dozens of scenes in this one that reminded me of my Charlestown-based family (specifically, my brothers) that made me laugh, smile, cry or a combination of all three. Even if you've never been to Boston, and even if you don't have a brother like Dicky, there is something here for you. I'm usually a person who likes to run off at the mouth about inaccuracies of this type of movie (just being a know-it-all doucher)...but I don't care. I don't want to know. This one is simply too good for any of that.
Oh, if they gave Christian Bale another Oscar next year for Dicky, I wouldn't mind it at all. Amazing.
One more thing...David O. Russell + Mark Wahlberg = Cinematic Excellence (though I missed IHH)

No comments:

Post a Comment